Tucker No. 1035 has had a long, strange and sad history--but one which may ultimately have a happy ending. It started in December 1948 when No. 1035 was shipped to Sao Paulo, Brazil, to the first Tucker dealer in Brazil, Jaime Gantmanis.
Over the years, the car changed hands several times, eventually coming into the possession of Roberto Eduardo Lee in 1962. The car had also been extensively modified, including the interior, chassis and drivetrain. Tragically, Roberto Lee died in 1975, beginning a legal battle among his heirs that lasted more than 35 years. No. 1035 and the rest of Lee's collection sat deteriorating and vandalized while the legal battles dragged on. By early 2011, however, the city of Cacapava, Brazil (which owns the building that housed Lee's Museu Paulista do Antiguidades Mecanicas) took possession of No. 1035 and the rest of Lee's collection and relocated them all to a more secure location. We understand that the city and Brazilian Tucker fans would like to try to restore No. 1035, and we wish them well in that effort.
(Post credit: Jay Follis, Kit Fox and TACA message board; photo credit: TACA website)